On March 17th I showed you my status summary for show applications...
I posted an update on April 8th...
Here is where I stand on April 21st... I have results from every application that has been sent!
By the Numbers:
- 14 applications sent
- 1 more applications to send (due 4/30)
- 4 rejections :( and they came all in a row!
- 1 wait lists
- 9 Acceptances ... I am still deciding about my participation in 2
- 0 in progress
- I have spent $300 on jury fees. I was "invited" to 3 of the shows so my jury fee was waived).
- I am committed to $2495 in booth fees across 9 shows.
There is a cost associated with the materials, labor, and kiln time (electricity) for every piece. So when I make a sale, I have to take that cost out before I can begin applying the income to pay for my booth. That income also has to cover travel expenses. My cost of production is usually 30-50% of the selling price. Let's call it 40% for now.
Sample Show (yes this is a real show, near my house so there is no hotel cost)
- Costs (jury+show+mileage+food) = $573
- I need to sell $955 to start making a profit. 60% of sales AFTER $955 are profit.
- The average price of my pieces is $85. I need to sell roughly 11 items BEFORE I CAN BEGIN TO MAKE A PROFIT!
- If I sell $2000 worth of items then I have made a profit of $626.
At least I know where I will be this summer! To see the shows that I will definitely be at check out my site or "Like" Heartfire Studios on Facebook.
Oh, and based on the math, I'M CRAZY!